Stay Safe Online
VSTAG members take safety and security seriously. We are committed to protecting you when you use our online products and services.
Online crime is increasing and criminals are constantly looking for new ways to access personal information.
Like any other online business the process of buying and selling cars can attract fraudsters. Don’t get taken in! Our information will guide you on how to stay safe online, how to spot a scam – and the warning signs to look out for.
You can find more information below.
Things to remember
… when MAKING payments for vehicles:
- Never send money abroad
- Never pay a large deposit
- Don’t hand over your vehicle until you’re satisfied the funds are in your account – check with your bank that you can withdraw funds safely on the cheque
- Your bank will not honour fraudulent drafts or drafts that cannot be cleared through lack of funds
- Don’t be pressured into releasing your vehicle – a genuine buyer should not mind waiting until the draft has cleared
… when TAKING payments for vehicles:
- Cash Payments – Ask for the cash to be handed to you in a bank, where notes can be checked for forgeries and paid in immediately
- Cheques / Bankers Drafts – Never let the buyer take your vehicle until the funds have appeared in your bank account to ensure the cheque isn’t forged, cancelled or stolen
- Online Bank Transfers – This is one of the safest methods of payment as it avoids handling large amounts of cash and the problems associated with cheques
Our buyers guide, tips and checklist to help you through the buying process.
Our guide and checklist to help you through the selling process.
REPORT VEHICLE CRIME INCIDENTS
If you know about, or have been a victim of vehicle fraud or scam, we would like to hear about it.
You may find these other sites useful in finding out more about safety online and help in buying and selling your vehicle.
These links are from industry leaders but VSTAG cannot guarantee their accuracy.